Monday 23 March 2015

AGOR'Α (2014) by Yorgos Avgeropoulos

On Tuesday 21 April at 19:00 and on Wednesday 22 April at 21:00 we will screen at cinema Utopia the documentary Agorá (Greece, 2014, colour, 117 min) directed by Yorgos Avgeropoulos. The film is in the original Greek version with English subtitles.

Please note that the screening of April 21st will be followed by a Q & A session with the director at Culturando. Feel free to come with your questions.

Director's Note


"For the last 13 years I am travelling the world, filming and bringing to the audience images of an unjust world, dark, tortured, and very often dangerous. I have confronted human despair, hunger, misery, war and death of any kind. I have exposed the greed of governments and multinational companies, promising "development" while bringing poverty and mayhem. However, I have always found resilience, hope and strength.

Now, I am filming in my own country: What I have witnessed in Africa, Asia or Latin America is now happening in my backyard. Agorá is my personal response to the crisis, a stand I want to make towards injustice. My intention is to give voice to people that cannot be heard.

Since the start of the crisis in 2010, my team of seven people and me have started filming every significant event related to the current crisis, focusing on people's lives, approaching characters from different social classes, witnessing how their lives are changing as time passes by and how the crisis affects them or not. At the same time, we are following the dramatic timeline of the crisis itself, seeking answers from key decision makers, politicians or insiders, in Greece and the rest of the world, recording the parallel rise of fascism and solidarity movements.

The film becomes a quest for the initial meaning of Agorá. In Ancient Athens, it was the womb of Democracy. Today, in Modern Greek, the word Agorá has come to simply denote a market place."

Yorgos Avgeropoulos

For more info, check Agora's Official Website.

No comments: